We change each day..
Once U find itself U have to begin again.
Today we are changing and learning Robot Framework and thought of sharing the same with others co-learners, please add your expertise as comments to this post. We have already shared our posts on established automation tools like UFT and Selenium.
Do follow us on Fb,G+,Twitter, it encourages us to learn and share more.
Lets start with the installation of Robot Framework(RF), followed with our first test case with RF.
1.Python:- This is the language on which the architecture of RF is based on.Most updated version of RF(2.9), supports Python-2.7, still contributing team is working on the support for Python -3.
Download Link:- Python – Click on Downloads Menu – Download the latest version of python 2.7.*
- On most UNIX-like systems such as Linux and OS X you have Python installed by default
- Latest Python Windows installers allow setting PATH as part of the installation. This is disabled by default, but Add python.exe to Path can be enabled on the Customize Python screen.
- Now if we check (Control PanelSystem and SecuritySystemAdvance system settingsEnvironment VariablesSystem variables path) we can see the value added in the starting itself C:Python27;C:Python27Scripts;
- Where our Installation path
= C:Python27 and Python scripts(where our Robot framework would be installed) = C:Python27Scripts
- We haven’t discussed about installation of Jython and IronPython, these are interpreters we need incase we are coding in Java and .net technologies.
How to check python is installed on system?
Easiest approach is open the command prompt and execute the command “python –version”
2.Package Manger:-We can use any package manager like pip, easy_intstall for installing robot-framework.We would be using pip as it is coming bundled with latest version of python (starting 2.7.9) , else we need to install pip first and then utilize it.
#For upgrade we can use the command
pip install –upgrade robotframework
1.Extract the .tar file using (say 7-zip)
2.Open the command window inthe installer package and type “setup.py install“
How to verify the installation of Selenium2Library:-
Open cmd prompt type python
type import Selenium2Library
if we are able to see >> symbol means we are succsessfull.
How to check the Selenium Keywords that we can use:-
We can utilize the online resource for Selenium Library.
Further we can play with python code of these keywords.
Path of Selenium Keywords on local system relative to Python installation = Python27Libsite-packagesSelenium2Librarykeywords
Open any of the .py file and check the code.
Preconditons:- We need python, robotframework and wxPython already installed to launch RIDE. Thus we still need to install wxPython as we already done with first 2 components.
wxPython:- RIDE’s GUI is implemented using wxPython toolkit.
Select the required .exe as per the system requirement.
Download link:- wxPython
For Unix OS: – sudo apt install python-wxgtk2.8
We would install it using the following pip command.
pip install robotframework-ride
- Using the pip command we are installing the latest stable release.Incase we want to check the beta/alpha release we can follow the RIDE github page.
- To create the desktop shortcut on windows we need to use the .exe of the installer, that we can get again at the release link.
Launching RIDE :- type the command ride.py in command prompt and we are done